Fire, gutted the United African Company (UAC) building at CMS, Lagos Island, Lagos State, South West Nigeria.
The building of Sun Flag Textile, opposite First Bank, Iganmu and a house at 23, Alhaji Ashafa Street, Magodo, also went up in flames.
Lagos State Fire Service lamented the incessant fire outbreaks. It attributed them to carelessness by residents.
A Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) source said emergency responders were on the scene of the fire.
Lagos State Fire Service Assistant Chief Public Affairs Officer Bola Ajao said in a statement yesterday that firefighters from Sari Iganmu Fire Station, with the support of Ilupeju Fire Station, arrived at Sun Flag Textile building around 9:12am and put out the fire.
She said Ilupeju Fire Station responded to the UAC building inferno.
The safety exercise, she said, was complemented by other emergency responders.
The UAC fire, she added, reportedly started from the air conditioned unit in one of the offices on the 10th floor of the 12- storey building.
“The officers were able to confine the raging inferno to the office and thus prevented it from spreading to other offices and floors. Sanity was later restored, to the applause of onlookers,” Ajao said.
It was gathered that the fire was prevented from spreading to other buildings.
Acting Director Lagos State Fire Service Rasaki Musibau said but for the professionalism by the firefighters, the fires would have escalated and resulted in disaster.
He said the Service had recorded over 119 fire incidents across the state in January alone.